REACH Technical Regulations created by the European Union is a special procedure of Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals. It was put into force on June 1, 2007 for improving legislative and regulatory framework applicable for chemicals at that time in EU countries. The key goal of REACH is guarantying the high level protection of human health and environment by timely and proper characterization of chemicals properties.
In REACH program the responsibility for management of chemicals risks related to health and environment is laid on different industries. Manufacturers and importers will have to assess the risks related to chemicals, which they produce and sell at the market, and take adequate measures on managing these risks. For assuring of fulfilling the obligations related to produced or imported chemicals in the quantity of 1 ton per year or more (for one physical or legal entity) the manufacturers and importers shall lodge their registration dossier in the European Chemical Agency (ECA) in Helsinki.
In future the Regulations will also provide for replacement of the most dangerous chemicals for their better alternatives, if found.
REACH declares three periods of stepwise implementing the chemical registration application. Depending on production volumes and dangerous properties of substances different periods of registration are to be applied:
* December 1, 2010 – for high volumes (over 1 000 t/a) of chemical products and for less volumes of certain chemicals depending on their hazard to human health and environment.
* June 1, 2013 and June1, 2018 – for less volumes of chemical products (from 1 000 to 100 t/a and from 100 to 1 t/a correspondingly).
To have possibility to use and place chemical products in the markets of the European Union and European Economic Area the manufacturers, importers, users and distributors of chemicals in the EU and EEA territory will have to meet the requirements of REACH Regulations.
Further background information on the REACH Regulation (EC) No. 1907/2006:
- European Chemical Agency
- REACH official guidance documents
- The legal text of the REACH regulation in all EU languages
- Eurometaux non-ferrous metals industry REACH Gateway
- ReachCentrum website, created by the European Chemical Industry Council (CEFIC) as an information source for the industry to prepare and implement REACH
Some consortia links: